A report from the Oklahoma State Fire Marshal determined the Castleridge house fire, which left one dead and one seriously injured, was accidental.
The fire occurred in the early hours of Saturday, Feb. 25. The Mustang Fire Department was dispatched at 12:41 a.m. to 512 S. Castleridge Lane. Mustang Fire Chief Carl Hickman said upon arrival the crew was notified of a victim inside the residence.
Firefighters attempted to make entrance through the front door, but faced with heavy smoke and fire
they had to back out. After the fire was eliminated, the body of Jill Vaught was located inside the house.
Another resident, Duncan Brouwer, reportedly had escaped through a window. He was taken to the Baptist Burn Center after sustaining serious burns and later released. Two firefighters also sustained minor injuries.
The state fire marshal was requested by the Mustang Fire Department to investigate the fire at 1:14 a.m. on Feb. 25. According to the investigation report, the fire started inside the house in the area of the north wall of the living room. It is unknown if smoke detectors were in use at the residence. The report states the estimated loss is $135,000.
Vaught, 34, was a Mustang native and Oklahoma City Public School teacher. In honor of Vaught’s life, the elementary school she taught at is accepting donations to assemble a special reading room in their library.
Donations can be sent to Linwood Elementary, Special School Activity Fund, c/o Susan Combs. 3416 N.W. 17th St., Oklahoma City, OK 73107. Donations can also be made to honor Vaught through the “Friends of the Mustang Animal Shelter” c/o Shawna Bostick, 713 S. Castle Rock Lane, Mustang, Oklahoma 73064.
A Go fund Me page has been created for Brouwer to assist with finances after losing everything in the fire.