Skip to content

Wrestlers win back-and-forth battle with Edmond Memorial

The Yukon wrestling team improved to 2-0 on the dual season with a 38-34 district dual victory on their home mat against Edmond Memorial.

The dual didn’t start the way the Millers would have liked as they lost the first two matches but YHS responded and won several key matches in the heavier weights to secure the important victory over their district foe.

“I didn’t think we wrestled very well tonight,” Yukon coach Joe Schneider said. “But we found a way to win the dual, which was big for us as we battle for dual-state points. Our heavier weights came through for us tonight and we needed them to. We will go back to work and get ready for Mustang.”

In the 106-pound match, Steven Cook was pinned in the first period giving Edmond Memorial a 6-0 lead right out of the gate.

In the 113-pound match, Braden Fowler lost 3-7 to his EM counterpart and the Millers fell behind 9-0.

In the 120-pound match, Yukon got on the board, as Kylon Burgert came back to win by a fall in the third period, which cut the lead to 9-6 Memorial.

In the 126-pound match, Austin McCormack was defeated 12-6 and extended the Bulldogs’ lead to 12-6.

In the 132-pound match, Broc Bailey won by a second-period fall and tied the overall score at 12-12.

In the 138-pound match, defending state champion Jaxen Gilmore won 6-3 to give Yukon their first lead at 15-12.

In the 145-pound match, Zane Taylor was pinned in the second period to give Edmond Memorial the 18-15 lead.

In the 152-pound match, Baywiin Hollinsghead was pinned in the first period and the Bulldogs’ lead increased to 24-15.

In the 160-pound match, defending state runner-up Chase Vincent won by a tech fall in the second period to cut the lead to 24-20.

In the 170-pound match, George Zorn lost 7-2, as Memorial went back up 27-20.

In the 182-pound match, Waylon Heger pinned his opponent in the second period and cut the EM lead to one at 27-26.

In the 195-pound match, Colin Foster pinned his counterpart in the second period to give the Millers a 32-27 lead with two matches remaining.

In the 220-pound match, Brett Gerber pinned his opponent in the first period to secure the dual victory as Yukon went up 38-28 with just the heavyweight match left on the board.

In the 285-pound match, Ashton Alridge was pinned in the first period but it was too little too late for Edmond Memorial as Yukon went on to win the dual by four points.

Leave a Comment