Skip to content

Despite fast start, Yukon can’t finish in loss at Broken Arrow

Millers fall to 0-4 overall and 0-1 in district play

The Yukon football team dropped their fourth game in four weeks on Friday night at Broken Arrow with a 33-9 loss to fall to 0-4 on the season and 0-1 in district play however, the game was closer than the final score would indicate.

“I felt like tonight we were the better football team,” Yukon coach Brian Sauser said following the game. “It’s kind of an empty feeling though, the kids’ preparation was good, we executed, but we are just not at a point where we are finishing our opportunities right now.”

Yukon couldn’t have dreamed of a better start to the game, as senior Ethan Scott took the opening kickoff 98 yards right down the heart of the Tiger’s coverage team for a touchdown.

“It was an outstanding start to the game,” Sauser said. “Ethan Scott the last several weeks has emerged as the player we always thought he could be throughout his career. What a start to the game. That’s just a guy making a play and some guys around him making some blocks. That was a big momentum shift for us.”

The impressive start was diminished slightly when Broken Arrow blocked the Millers’ extra-point attempt. Nevertheless, YHS was leading 6-0.

Broken Arrow answered quickly on their opening offensive possession with a 54-yard touchdown drive. The Tigers were successful with their extra-point attempt, which gave them the 7-6 lead early in the opening quarter.

That score would remain intact throughout the rest of the first quarter.

To open the second quarter, Yukon put a solid drive together that stalled inside the Broken Arrow 10-yard line, but the Millers were successful on a 22-yard field-goal-attempt from placekicker Cody Watson to give YHS their second lead of the night at 9-7.

The Millers’ strong defensive performance continued throughout the majority of the second frame, but with just one-minute remaining before halftime, Broken Arrow connected on a 55-yard touchdown pass and took a 14-9 lead into the halftime locker room.

In the third quarter, Yukon’s offensive continued to move the ball but when it got into Broken Arrow territory, the Millers would fail to finish and come away with no points on the board.

The Tigers added five points in the third frame on a 27-yard field goal and a safety on an intentional grounding penalty inside the end zone on Yukon.

Broken Arrow led 19-9 going into the fourth quarter.

The Tigers pulled away in the final frame with two touchdowns. The first came on a 34-yard drive following the intentional grounding penalty that forced a safety on the Millers. The second came on a 56-yard interception return for a touchdown to make the final difference 24 points.

I’m really proud of the kids,” Sauser said. “Broken Arrow is a team that really prides itself on being physical and running the football and they couldn’t run the football on us.”

Leave a Comment